Friday, May 25, 2007

My vote matters... but I don't know about yours

These days everyone has a story about how horrible life is in a post 9/11 world. Whether it's tightened security at the airport, or overzealous citizenry targeting the "brown" people. I just read an article written by a guy who took some photos of french fries on a New York ferry and was accosted by the ferry staff and treated rudely. The author of the article had to really reach to make this link between rude ferry staff to accusations of terrorism, but he went for it anyway.

Is life harder in a post 9/11 world? Well, it's definitely less convenient for me as it is for a lot of other people who are currently living in the US or trying to come live in the US. But I think it's a lot harder for Iraqis. And what about the Sudanese? Well, I bet life in a post 9/11 world is just as shitty for them as it was in a pre 9/11 world. The same probably goes for folks in Myanmar and Venezuela.

The thing that really gets me the most is that there is a huge overlap between the people who are complaining about the inconveniences of living in post 9/11 america, and the people who don't even bother to learn what the patriot act is, people who vote for the straight republican ticket because they believe that A) their vote doesn't count, B) all the candidates are assholes anyway, and C) gots to gets me my taxes lowered!

Not that I have a leg to stand on. I didn't participate in any protests. I'm not writing letters to my congressman or senator. I'm just sitting at home making sure my internet works so I can get a daily dose of the lolcatz.

Have you thought about who you're going to vote for?

No comments: