Monday, May 21, 2007

How to fall asleep

There's this method I use to fall asleep sometimes, when my consciousness is being obstinate about defying my will to lose it. I derived it from something some guy I know, who studied Buddhism in India and Tibet, said he used as a strategy to get his meditation on.

As you lay in bed with your eyes closed you think of empty blackness. There is nothing, except for a single object. This object is a perfect cube. Its size is of no consequence, could be 1ft^3 or 1cm^3 or 1km^3, since there is no other object to compare it to. This cube is spinning. The axis of spin doesn't matter either. It's made of transparent glass and it is hollow. As you focus on its spin it begins to fill with a fluid. The type of fluid is also inconsequential. As the fluid completely fills its innards, the cube bursts apart. Then the fluid takes shape. What shape it takes is entirely up to your subconscious or conscious desires. You let your imagination run wild from there.

While all of this is happening, you can imagine that a wave of inactivity is affecting your body. I like to imagine that, beginning with my toes, everything goes numb and frozen. I count up from one and by the time I reach ten, my toes are asleep. I move on to the sole of my foot, ten more seconds and that's now paralyzed. I keep going up my foot, ankle, calf, shin, knee, thigh, etc. I hardly ever make it past my waist. I'm out in 5 minutes.

If none of this works, that means my body is just not ready for sleep so I get out of bed and do something else.

I'll be writing a lot about sleep. I like sleep.

No comments: