Wednesday, June 24, 2009

How things are done on one side of the Atlantic

In order for me to get 24 hour access to the academic building I'm currently making use of, I had to go through a 'fire induction tour'. This was an event that sounds more interesting than it actually was. I pictured some kind of hazing ritual, or at least something which required the use of a torch. However, a 'fire induction tour' is actually inherently interesting to someone who has never experienced one before.

Basically, since I would be given stewardship of the building on those odd cases where I might be the only one within it, they had to teach me what to do in case of all kinds of emergencies (such as if I were to suddenly bite into my own flesh with my teeth, accidentally, and needed something to staunch [the blood] with).

The tour was interesting in that it showed me the locations of the departmental dish washer and oven (why don't we have those?), the departmental first aid boxes (they've got one or two on every floor), the departmental printers, copiers, and supply cupboards (they've got armfulls of all kinds of stationary and stationary related products, none of which is under lock and key), and the departmental showers (that's right, 2 of them, about 20 feet within walking in from the front door of the building, you know, in case you walk, run, or cycle from home).

3 comments:

serapio said...

There was no fire induced? How disappointing. And in what sort of emergency do you use the printer and stationary? I wonder if our next allotment of lounge improvement funds would cover installing an oven, a dishwasher and a shower or two. They would be helpful in all kinds of emergencies I'm sure.

Taking it like a man said...

I, too, was looking forward to some test case of fire induction. but alas, it was I was induced.

The printer and stationary is on the way to the first aid kit. But I suppose you could use a pen in building a tourniquet.

If you have accidentally set yourself on fire, head for the showers.

Anonymous said...

You have had to put so much time to build such a great site! Thanks! Excellent site and very informative Just a wonderful site!

dating site in canada
totally free online dating sites
top adult dating site
top dating sites
newest dating site
http://community.videospin.com/members/Onerceexive.aspx - online dating site
http://www.2020people.com/node/9178 - russian girls and boys
http://www.mypage.com/immonidor/weblog/992720.html - russian mail brides
http://flatheadronpaul.com/node/17378 - cute russian girls
http://community.videospin.com/members/Goliflepimi.aspx - women girls brides eastern euroup