Tuesday, September 2, 2008

song tips

I was just listening to my iTunes playlist, as I often do while working at the computer, and this song came on:

Iron & Wine - The Trapeze Swinger


Found at skreemr.com


I'm a big fan of Iron & Wine, but I haven't heard this particular song in a while. And as I was listening to it (all 9+ minutes of it) I thought to myself that this would be a fantastic song to run film credits to OR to play as a graduation song.

I've never really approved of any of the graduation songs that I've been subjected to. The problem is that no single person gets a say in what graduation song gets chosen, its done by democracy and so it's done by popularity which automatically makes all of these decisions completely unoriginal. I guess it's also possible that the most popular person chooses a song and everyone agrees because that's what you do in high school or elementary school.

So we used songs like that Sarah McLaughlan song about remembering each other (I actually like a lot of Sarah McLaughlan songs but that mirrorball album got overplayed). I also remember some lame song set to Pachelbel's Canon which came out around the time I graduated high school. That one seemed to be written specifically for high school graduations and it was terrible. And for some reason, I think we used Mariah Carey's 'Hero' for my 8th grade graduation.

Anyway, MUSICAL RESPECT goes to any class who uses Iron & Wine's "trapeze swinger" as a graduation song.

P.S. Iron & Wine will be opening for the Swell Season at a concert this october at SDSU. I highly recommend it. Here is a sample of the Swell Season:

Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova - When Your Minds Made Up


Found at skreemr.com


Glen Hansard, Markéta Irglová & The Frames - Falling Slowly


Found at skreemr.com

No comments: