Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Clinton WINS!

Needless to say, I'm a little disappointed in the primary results. I stumbled across the following two images on the CNN election summary page:




I really do not want to make assumptions about what those images mean. But I'm going to make an observation which can be interpreted as an assumption.

This is exactly how such states tend to split up, by county, in presidential elections among republican and democratic votes all across the country. As Dan Savage once said [I paraphrase]: even in what we typically consider 'blue states', when you split the results up by county you get these islands of blue sanity clustering around the major urban centers surrounded by a sea of... well... red.

There's no such thing as a blue state (except maybe vermont), only states with really blue cities. So when I see Obama winning in the counties that compose and surround Dallas, Austin, Huston, Cleveland, Columbus, and Cincinnati, but losing everywhere else, I am reminded of those county breakdown maps from 2004.

Of course, this could mean that Hillary strikes a chord with voters from rural areas and this might put her in a better position to beat McCain in the Big One... maybe. Or maybe that obama-in-somali-clothes photograph affected the plain folk living in the homogenized countryside who are not used to seeing such shockingly un-american images.

But there I go making assumptions again.

Sigh.

No comments: