Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Music makes my brain make my body move

I'm not a "dancer" -- I would have to learn how to make my limbs move in a visually pleasing way to become a "dancer" -- but very often, as I listen to music at home, I find myself growing aware that my body has been bobbing, swaying, and generally moving along and that it's been doing this without express written consent from my conscious brain.

This unnerves me, though not because my body is doing things that I'm not controlling. I know it does things without my conscious control all the time - things like removing my limbs and digits from scalding hot things, or pumping air and shit through my lungs and small intestines, respectively of course.

What unnerves me is that I don't have the conscious control to remove the consciousness that otherwise strongly prevents me to preform these largely unconscious acts in public. I consciously assume that I don't care what others think of me and, when I have an opinion, I am typically willing to sacrifice group harmony and boldly wear it on my suit-pants' legs. But I also think that the reason I avoid the dance floor is not to avoid embarrassing myself but to avoid the discomfort that others would feel (Exhibit A: George and coworkers during Elaine's escapade).



But, really, doesn't that mean that I care what people think of me? Shock!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice post, totaly agree with it xD

Awesome! xD Keep up with that nice humour xD