Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The last (fluent?) speaker of the language Eyak has passed away. That's linguistically relevant in itself. But the reason I'm discussing it is that the article I read about this event has the following paragraph:

Jones [the last speaker] died peacefully in her sleep Monday. Her mother was found by a friend, said Bernice Galloway, a daughter who lives in Albuquerque, N.M.

It took me a while to figure out what this paragraph was saying. On my first read I understood that Jones died, but her mother, who was apparently lost somewhere, was found by a friend of Jones'. Then I thought her mother also died and she was found dead along with Jones. That made me construct a scenario where both women died due to some kind of gas leak in their home. Eventually I made it to the "said Bernice Galloway, a daughter..." which cleared things up a bit.

The article can be found on the website for the seattle post/intelligencier. And I suspect their copy editors don't care much for the online version of their paper.

No comments: